Are you making the most of Instagram stories?
If you’re on Instagram, you’d definitely know what stories are. The app launched this feature in 2016, but many still do not understand the true potential of stories and how it can enhance their online presence. At a time when everybody is after reels, possibilities offered by Instagram stories often go unnoticed. Here’s how you can leverage them.
Instagram launched its story feature in August 2016. The idea was inspired by Snapchat and after it gained immense popularity among users, Instagram followed suit. Facebook and Instagram soon got integrated, letting you directly share your Instagram stories on Facebook too. You may wonder - all of this is old news. Why are we still discussing this?
The simple answer is - many users and brands still do not understand the true potential of stories and how it can enhance their online presence by leaps and bounds. At a time when everybody is after reels, possibilities offered by Instagram stories often go unnoticed. Basics are always important so here we are, sharing some insights into how best individuals and brands alike, can benefit from Instagram stories.
A quick recap - What are Instagram stories?
Stories are a self-destruct type of content that disappears after 24 hours of uploading. They are vertical, full screen photographs or videos, and can be found at the top of your screen. They are also more upfront, instant and are different from the traditional form of information delivery, offering an exclusive sneak peek into your life/business for your followers/target audience.
How are Instagram stories different from regular posts?
Compared to regular posts, Instagram stories are far more dynamic and attractive. Here are some distinguishable characteristics:
1. Sequential: Instagram stories allow you to showcase your current as well as past activities in a cohesive manner. It helps a profile visitor to perceive your personality or brand more effectively.
2. Better engagement: The only engagement options available on posts are like and comment. But Instagram stories enable better interaction through features like quizzes, polls, stickers, etc.
3. Wider reach: Just like reels, IG stories have wider reach than posts. With the integration of Facebook and Instagram, stories provide better marketing opportunities and ensure a larger audience reach for brands. You can also add hashtags, location, etc, to improve the reach.
4. Easy scheduling: Instagram stories are not time-bound like posts. They can be uploaded anytime and you don’t have to follow the algorithm of users’ timings. They’re perfect for a quick and short impact.
Our three cents
Now you know why you should go for Instagram stories over posts whenever you can. Here are three quick tips to further help you up your story game.
1. Be regular with updating stories: People tend to check stories more than posts. Instagram stories have better visibility compared to posts as they appear right on top of the screen with a pink circle while posts can get lost in the feed. Leverage this and be more regular with stories to appear more on people’s feed and get them to familiarise with you well.
2. Save to highlights: Published stories can further be saved and organised in the form of highlights, with appealing covers, so that followers can always revisit the content. You can add up to 100 pictures and videos under each highlight, but there is no limit to creating any number of highlights.
3. Features to enhance engagement: Instagram stories have features that posts don’t, which make them more fun, appealing and engaging. Here are a few of them
Filters: Choose those filters that best showcase the unique personality of your brand
Music: Add suitable music to your photos to make them more lively
GIFs: Bring the fun element out through fun GIFs
Stickers: Festive stickers separately highlight your festive stories
Q&A sessions: Ask followers what content they wish to see more on your page
Polls: Ask them what’s their favourite way to unwind post work
Countdown timer: Announce something important happening with you or your brand
If you thought things couldn’t get better, they did. Recently, Instagram launched a few updates to enhance engagement. Users can now like stories instead of sending a DM. Invest some time in exploring Instagram stories and you may unearth more such insights! Don’t forget to share them with us. So, stay quirky and keep posting!
There is just so much you can do to boost your business! We know it can be overwhelming. But hey, we are experts at breaking down complex concepts into easily comprehensible content. So keep calm and follow our blogs!
We practise what we preach! Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to avail our services.